Monday, May 01, 2006

remembering felipe



happy b-day abuelito..


Today marks what would have been my grandpa's 77th birthday. And despite the fact he was a loner and we barely spoke more than an hour or so straight in my life, today I find myself thinking of him constantly.

As I said before, Felipe was a quiet man: he kept to himself and stood somewhat in the shadows when it came to family life. He was born and raised in Aguadilla, PUERTO RICO - a small fishing town located on the island's northwest corner and loved to drink and smoke (much like myself, I might add). He had 12 children with my grandma (I know they were freaky freaks) - of which mi madre is the eldest. From what I hear he was one hell of a salsa dancer. OH, and he LOVED baseball - he was forever a White Sox fan. I only wish he was around to cherish their championship last year. He would have just died (no pun intended). In any case, in 2001 he died of emphysema which progressed into lung cancer, which was due to smoking heavily for most of his life. I will never forget, despite the pain he endured with his illness, how he smoked cigarettes to his last day on earth.

It's sad that everything I ever knew about my grandpa could be summarized into one short paragraph. With that said, I shed a tear of sorrow with the revelation that I will never truly know the man my grandpa really was.

3 comments:

dr.v (Not a narcotic Pez dispenser) said...

Your grandpa would have been SO happy to see the White Sox win the World Series. I know I was going crazy with joy.

but i bet he helped the White Sox win with his heavenly stroke of luck ;) it's a good thing having White Sox fans in heaven.

Amadeo said...

It's amazing how you don't realize the importance you feel about knowing your family and having those connections until you don't.

Unknown said...

i'm sure you can learn more by asking family members that are older to share whatever they can remember.