Wednesday, December 21, 2005

time for another revelation...

Yesterday I took a look at my parents and for the first time in my entire life, saw the reality of how old they are getting. They both looked suddenly shrunken and spots like their hands, legs, and areas around their eyes were starting to look and feel like mis abuelitos (my grandparents). Even though they are relatively young - in early 50s, I started just PLAIN freaking out.

Yesterday, while we were all sitting down for dinner, I started to feel sad thinking about how, in fact, my time is so limited with them. I do try to make it over to visit them at least twice a week - either after work or on the weekends - ya know, between the hustle and bustle of life. But even those few hours a week, is limited in many ways. Just contemplating this fear, I panicked even, thinking and begging for more time with them.

There's still so much I want to share....Things I vow to share like:

~ I have yet to learn 1/2 of the glorious recipes my mom has stored in her membrane

~ Learn more about my dad & moms first years in the USA (like yesterday I learned that 1/2 of my dad's family was forced to pick grapes and live in concentration camp like conditions just to survive - how does one go almost 30 years of her life without knowing something that significant about her papi?!!)

~ Invite them to my house to enjoy a glorious dinner I made specifically for them JUST BECAUSE

~ Go on a family trip together; its been at least a decade...

~ Have them witness my marriage and/or experience being grandparents (between me & my brother, they are getting impatient lemme tell you)


I don't want to bore you with the rest; the list is extensive. It's funny how things come out of nowhere and hit you HARD. All I can say is that I left their house with my eyes wide open last night- knowing that every moment shared with them - no matter how insignificant was precious.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

i had a similar realization a few years ago about my own parents. its a little scary and humbling.

Mexirican said...

I really hate living far enough that I can't jump in the car and go. When I visit my fam, it's a plan and only a couple of days. My father is getting older and my little sis is getting so big. It melts my heart especially when my dad says "see what you are missing?"

Mickey Glitter said...

Girl, I know exactly what you're saying, especially after the last two weeks with my dad being in the hospital and then home and then back in the hospital.

ms. purity said...

Without even knowing it, I've taken them always being here for me for granted. Like a dumb ass, I have ranked other things in my life as priority over them in the last few years. And in that time, they started getting old!!

At least they're still around for me to appreciate. Right ?!