Thursday, August 24, 2006

and then there were eight

I have no idea why the stripping of planetary status of Pluto bothers me as much as it does. But, it just rubs me the wrong way that after 76 years of teachings that our solar system had nine planets, suddenly they decide Pluto doesn't qualify. It's now considered a dwarf...what the hell? It's like suddenly it's the unpopular kid, just kicked to the curb and never thought of again.



our solar system...sans Pluto


Just think of all the science books that will have to be chucked due to the inaccuracy; even such things as Trivial Pursuits answers must be updated to read 8 planets as opposed to the 9 we all know and love. What's next? A total revision of what consists of the earth's core? A miscalculation and apparent shifting of the equator line? It's maddening, I tell you maddening.

I, for one, think there's still room for debate. In my mind there will always be 9 planets in out solar system. I don't care what those hoity toity astronomers have concluded. I don't doubt their knowledge one bit, however, they have to realize: you can't teach an old dog new tricks...especially this old dog!

2 comments:

dr.v (Not a narcotic Pez dispenser) said...

When I first heard about it, I thought..."What?! for real?"

But back in elementary school, I was already aware of the Pluto debate. And I made it a point of telling my 5th grade teacher...yep I was a geek :)

Amadeo said...

I'm still a little numb. I think the good thing is kids science projects will take a little less time to do. Maybe it was a discipline thing...that'll teach pluto for having an oblong orbit...the rest of you planets better keep in line!!!