Friday, March 28, 2008

good friday confession...

mmmmmm meat!

I'm officially a non practicing Catholic. Most of the time, I don't even really consider myself that, as I don't go to church and haven't prayed in years. This is because as I have grown older I have realized that in many ways the Catholic church & I just don't see eye to eye. Gay marriage, the non existence of women priests, no sex before marriage, and abortion are just a few of the few examples of this disconnect. Not that I don't believe in a higher power, but my version of God really doesn't fit the mold of most conventional religious faiths. However, to be honest, I was born and raised to believe in the Savior Jesus Christ, and I never really fought that association.

Being the non-practicing Catholic that I am, I don't partake in the usual lenten activities. I do not give up something of value (like chocolate or swearing) as a symbolic remembrance of the occasion. I don't go to mass on Ash Wednesday nor do I abstain for eating meat on Fridays. However, my mom adamantly insists on no meat on Good Friday, the holiest of all Fridays during lent. As usual in life, I give in to her wishes, mostly because I don't want to upset her and not eating meat for one day is a small price to pay for her happiness. Thus, this past Good Friday I did the same thing as usual. All day, I abstained from my beloved carne, eating the equivalent of twigs and veggies..only to be hungry a mere hour later. I don't get it, how do vegetarians ever feel full???!! It is horrible!! Horrible I tell you...

But I digress..my real confession is...at the tune of midnight, I dug into the leftover Beef Fried Rice and drank a few beers and life was good! Blah to no meat. Blah to a symbolic day which holds no value to me whatsoever!

WHEW! There...I feel much better gettin' this off my chest!

1 comment:

Veronica Garcia said...

This guy who used to work with me was a 300+ pound vegeterian, I shit you not! It was odd. But I noticed he ate lots of junk. Lots of sugar items, breaded items, potatoes and pasta, so yea, they get quite full. =)