Wednesday, June 09, 2004

can it be that it was all so simple then ?

Its Wednesday (yeah! the week is halfway over) and it is beautiful outside. Summer is upon us and I couldn't be happier. I truly missed the warmth of sun and the feel of it on my face. Summer is possibly my favorite season of all, with Fall in close second. I love summer so much partly because unlike in the winter, I actually feel like venturing outside my house. Also, its the only time of year I can leave the house with wet hair and not worry about developing pneumonia from the cold. It a wonderfully refreshing feeling; kinda reminiscent of my childhood when I just finished running around the water plug (aka fire hydrant) by my grandmas house. I would stand outside for hours just getting wet, drying off, and playing with one of my many cousins.

I guess summer in general makes me think about my childhood. Talking about childhood, I really miss not having responsibilities and being care free. Being 25 (wow that’s a quarter century) I now know how wonderfully easy I had it as a child. It was great! Full of mischief, laughter, and love. I tell my little cousins still in school to appreciate their summers now and enjoy them, because once they become an adult those days of true vacations and no responsibilities are over. Looking at all the children I see playing already on summer break, I can't help but feel a tad bit envious as I drive off to work. I miss having a summer vacation for over 2 months and the constant prevalence of family bar-b-ques. It was all so simple back then. I mean, back in the day my family was tight(I have about 12 aunts and uncles and near 30 cousins). And that’s just my moms side!! Anyway, although we still get together nowadays for holidays and some birthdays, all our parties lack that same sincerity and support it once did. Instead, now it drips with forced smiles and small talk to fill up gaps in conversation. How sad, huh ? I guess thats life.
Anyway...
I think today I will play some old school songs like wu-tangs joint "so simple" and dj jazzy jeff & the fresh prince's "Summertime" to get me through the day.

No comments: