Tuesday, June 08, 2004

me...uncentered

I am having such a hard time staying centered lately; my mind skips from one thing to another like it was on speed. But, since work is slow this morning, I am going to take a few minutes to just write absolutely anything my heart desires.

So where do I begin? Oh, I know. I saw the new Harry Potter movie on Friday and was a bit disappointed. I know they say that the movie is never as good as the book, but I haven't had any serious beef the previous 2 movies, but I felt this one missed key points. I was especially disappointed in the portrayal of the Patronus Charm, as it held many meanings for Harry. First off they made it seem like Harry learned it after 3 tries. It took all year for him to conjure up that spell and it was a big deal because only a very powerful wizard could accomplish such a feat. Secondly, they didn’t connect the meaning of his patronus to his father. Supposedly, the charm will conjure up a creature which has significant meaning to the wizard; in Harry's case it was a huge deer, which evidentially took the form of his father's animal form (his father is a.k.a. prongs- meaning antlers) You may know him as one of the unknown authors of the marauders map which Harry finds earlier in the movie. Anyhow, in the book, Rowling vividly describes Harry's Patronus, which is in the form of a huge angelic type horse/deer like creature swooping down to save the day. I pictured something soo beautiful and while reading it, I couldn’t wait to see how it would be portrayed in the movie. Unfortunately, it was just shown as a white light that acted like a shield. its just one of many things I found lacking (I wont go into any more detail lest you fall asleep at the keyboard). I know that none of this will probably make sense if you are not a Harry Potter fan, but if you are, then you know what I am talking about.

On other news:
Being the modern day hippy militant that I am, this morning when I stumbled across this cool flash video rendition of The Beatles song 'Come Together', I was jamming to it for a good 15 minutes.(Thanks goes out to Lenka for the 411). I'm totally feeling the discoed out John Lennon.

Also, I read a crazy article on usatoday.com Can you imagine finding an active landmine in the attic of your home of eight years? This man did.

No comments: