Friday, August 19, 2005

the time has come to get real

I don't know about you, but I'm just so sick and tired of seeing these anorexic looking things on my TV screen and in all the magazine ads every day. In my opinion, they are twisted, unrealistic, and unhealthy representations of what society urges women to be. They glorify starving yourself (at least on some degree) and urge women to somehow change who they are to conform to those norms. However, recent ads by major companies are slowing changing that. And that, my friends, is like a fresh breath of fresh air to me.

Can I just start off by saying that I ABSOLUTELY love what Dove has done recently to represent women out there? REAL women which actually have meat on their bones appearing on the side of buses and in subway posters boldly showing off their tattoos and NON size 0 bodies has started a revolution I hope never goes away. It appears that now Nike has jumped on the bandwagon, launching a new ad campaign which celebrates and empowers the bodies of muscular/curvy women who love to work out.

While some of the pictures, I reckon, are not geared towards their target market: extremely active women, I think that the campaign is in the right direction. For example, the picture below of a booty posing in spandex shorts will probably cause a few drool inducing stares by passing men. But, on the same token, who really cares what men get out of it? Its the everyday women that these campaigns call to who really will be positively affected. And those companies smart enough to join in the revolution will see their profits sky rocket, because they in fact have found the key to pitching to all the independent and strong woman in the country.

HMMM...Can it be that these skinny twigs on TV and in print ads will soon have to start actually eating (and not throwing up for a change) to keep their modeling jobs? OH MY!!!




example of Nike's new marketing campaign

1 comment:

Mickey Glitter said...

Great post; I've seen an ad like that recently and am thrilled. At six feet, I feel I am heavier than I should be (185 lbs), but everyone tells me I am lean, "for my size." I battle daily with being content with my curves and bumps on one hand and then wanting to lost ten-fifteen pounds. It's never-ending!