Tuesday, July 05, 2005

still recovering from 4th of July

what a weekend!!! But, to me, it's not over yet. I'm still on vacation and don't have to go back to the office until Thursday, so life is good. :)

However, I just awoke from a crazy night of restless, bizarre dreams. Living in the borderline ghetto of Chicago, my block was blowing up like an M-80 into the wee hours of the morning. Firecrackers were being thrown at a such a fast rate that my dog thought we were being bombed. As for me, I was fine until I tried to catch a few z's. After watching "War of the Worlds" and "Sometimes In April" within a 24 hour period, my mind morphed the sound of the fireworks into dreams laced with gunfire, genocide, and alien invasions. Trippy...

Anyhow, the next 48 hours won't be all fun and games. It will be spent trying to pick a contractor to remodel my garden apartment. The goal is to have it livable by the end of the summer. Hopefully, I will be able to find someone that's in my price range that won't totally suck ass. I really wanted to do it myself, but me & my bf just don't have the time and resources to finish the gut rehab in the timeframe I need. I figure it will end up costing more in the long run to do it ourseslves vs. having someone do it for more $$$ in a shorter period. Not only will it save us months upon months of labor (including the valuable time after work, on the weekends, etc), but I will be able to rent it faster, and collecting rent, my friends, is always a good thing.

Wish me luck!!! My first appointment is due in 15 minutes.

5 comments:

Mickey Glitter said...

How'd the appointment go? I love the sound of "garden apartment" and wanted very much to find such a place when I moved to Cali. It's so...so...metro and retro and Rat Pack and cool and in the middle of everything, like coffee shops and cool thrift stores and sitting on stoops in the cooling evening during the summer and posters on walls and drinking with friends and staying up all night to talk and what I really wanted. =) Can you tell??

ms. purity said...

I still haven't picked a contractor yet. I am still waiting for a few estimates to come in the door. But hopefully, I will be able to make a decision within the next week.

I must say, the numbers vary a great deal. There was one guy who had the balls to say it would cost $25,000!! WTF is he smokin ?

Mickey Glitter said...

I don't know, but he should share whatever it is. =)

Anonymous said...

I saw this in my Daily Candy e-mail the other day and thought of you. Have you heard of this?

http://dailycandy.com/article.jsp?ArticleId=23281&city=5

ms. purity said...

how cool. I wish I could afford somethign like that. Unfortunately, I've living paycheck to paycheck. Instead, its HGTV for me!!!