Wednesday, September 06, 2006

6 days and counting...




Even though we still have 2 more weeks until the official first day of Autumn (and the official countdown to my birthday) begins, in my mind, Fall in Chicago is already here. The trees are starting to show their first signs of color change, the weather has been chilly and brisk (especially in the mornings and evenings). Lastly, the sure fire sign of all signs: all the kids are back in school. I see kids of all ages on my commute to work, dressed in their new clothes and equipped with freshly sharpened pencils and untouched notebooks, drudging their way to the bus stop or walking with parents/and or friends to school. Ahh....the joy of being young...where all you have to worry about is turning in your homework on time.

Well that time (of doing homework) is almost upon me once again...in 6 days and counting I will be on my way to my Masters Degree- taking my first Graduate Level class: Advanced Intro to Sociology ( a prerequisite because I have no real background in Sociology). I am both excited and nervous - butterflies continue to play around in my belly - reminding me that it's been over 5 years since I've taken a test or written notes or even studied.

Yesterday, that feeling was compounded when I got an email from my professor. It was a simple email really...he just introduced himself, informed us where we would be meeting, and assigned some homework. Not only do I have to read 4 chapters before I even step into class, I have to find an article which deals with a pressing & current sociological debate. Being that the first day of class is a day after the 9/11 anniversary, I have a hunch that a majority of articles will be about war and the pressing issue of possible terrorist attacks.

Being the oddball that I undoubtedly am, I picked out a 2 part article from the Chicago Tribune which goes into detail about Illegal immigrant workers and the health care system. Unlike a lot of the articles you read nowadays,this article actually goes the opposite way into detailing the heavy price illegal immigrants pay for taking on such shitty and dangerous positions. It is a very interesting article and I highly suggest you read it and let me know what your thoughts are on the topic.

Til later...Peace and love.

2 comments:

Mexirican said...

Congrats on entering the gradaute school world. It's very strange but fulfilling at the same time. How many classes are you taking? I learned to take only as much as I can handle if not stress will come, pimples show up, crabiness comes, and my ass grows. :)

I will be in Chicago on December 16th for my prima's wedding. Everybody I know is married or engaged. what the hell... wait awhile people. :)

ms. purity said...

Mexirican: I am taking just one class to try to ease back into it the whole student thing. Maybe as time progresses: I will begin to take on a heavier load, but I have a feeling that this will be more than enough to keep me busy for now.

I'm glad you are heading back to Chicago to visit (though in Decemeber, poor you!!). If you have a chance while you are in town, hit me up and maybe we can meet for dinner, drinks, or over some tea/coffee! I can email you my phone number...use it!

btw, how was TX ?! did you enjoy yourself ?