Saturday, March 15, 2008

hell has frozen over

Yes, it's been a while and hell has frozen over because here I sit, cafe con leche in hand, writing again on my old faithful blog...something I thought I might never do again. I missed writing for pleasure and the form of self expression it used to be for me...but somewhere inside me still exists a spark hibernating...

It's not that I don't write anymore. It's quite the contrary. Officially a full time graduate student in Sociology, words fill my brain even in my dreams. I read an average of 1000 pages a week and write essays averaging 8 pages per week for school. There are no tests in my field..in essence my homework is my test. Not that I'm complaining...urban sociology just turns me on! My classes are insightful, my classmates are unique, intelligent, quirky people whom I've come to enjoy. As for me, I'm beginning to work on my thesis, which is tentatively called "Drop Outs in Chicago: A Look into the Role of School as an Influencer". I'm excited about using a relatively new grassroots method called photovoice, where I will ask dropouts enrolled in GED programs to take pictures of how they see the world. The goal is to try to finish both my classes and thesis by next spring (so excited)!!!!!

Approaching the big 3-0 , I've come to realize life is everchanging. Unlike when I was younger, I notice it happening more and more...you know, little changes...all of them small enough to fall under the radar solo, but taken together, they surmount into changing your persona right before your eyes. I'm trying to slow down and just savor these changes and be thankful that I had the opportunity to just experience all that life has to offer. The happiness, the pain, the indifference, each leaving a footprint on my soul...making me unique.

Before I have a chance to press delete on this post, like I've done countless of times within the last few months, I will sign off by saying peace n love to all...

2 comments:

Mexirican said...

Hey I will be at DePaul from 6-8 pm on Thursday March 20th. College Fair.

Anonymous said...

Wow ~ from November 2007 to March 2008 ~ I'm curious to know what the impetus was for you to start writing here again (lucky for us!). The photovoice method sounds AMAZING ~ please keep us posted when you start the field work ~ ! I hope to be back in Chicago later this year and hopefully we can really meet-up! So glad to read you again! ~ mari