Friday, March 28, 2008

the official I'm getting old post #2

About 3 years ago when I first noticed grays coming in, I made a decision not to color my hair anymore. My mentality was that I had to enjoy the last few years of my natural hair color while I could, because when I turn gray, I could never go back. I had been dying it so long that I didn't even know what my natural color was anymore. As it was, I spent the last 15 years of my life coloring my hair all shades of brown, red, and blond to declare my individuality, personality and to match my mood. For example, I remember when Bush was inaugurated, I dyed my hair PITCH BLACK to mimic the sadness I felt inside.

Well, that 3 year hiatus might soon be over.

This morning on the way into work, I looked in the mirror on the back of my sun visor only to see..not one, not two...not even three..but like fifteen gray hairs smiling back at me. Now don't get it twisted, gray hairs are not a new thing to me. They were, once upon a time, only strays that popped out to bug me every few months. But now, as I am approaching 30, I'm beginning to see group formations of them infiltrating on all sides of my membrane, almost giving my hair the appearance of slight grayish streaks if you look at it in a certain angle.

How can this be? I'm not even 30 yet! As I hyperventilated and pulled them out one by one between red lights, I looked at the heap of retired grays which I built up on my one hour commute...and realized I shouldn't be fighting the inevitable. I'm no longer a spring chicken (hey don't judge me for piling them up in one little pathetic pile!)

I tried to rationalize: with age, comes wisdom, with wisdom comes acceptance of things you cannot change...and the onslaught of gray hairs definitely falls in that category. It's not all that bad, is it??!! Is it?!! I'm trying to hold out on coloring my hair to hide them. I want to embrace my age, my new found wisdom, all so much. But it's so tempting to just wash it all away in a burnt sienna dye!

But I will abstain as long as I can...gray can be sexy, right??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain...but imagine finding grey hairs on a blonde head! The first time I saw a grey hair on my blonde head, I denied it and said it was just wicked light blonde. ;-)