Monday, August 16, 2004

the grand 'ole CTA

Because I worked in the suburbs for the last few years, I became overly accustomed to driving to and from work to get around. But, since my new gig is located in the heart of downtown, I now find myself among the thousand of Chicagoans that hitch a ride on the grand old CTA subway every day. It's only been a week or so since I have been CTA-ing it, but I am sooo loving the fact I can just space out at any given notice without worrying about getting side swiped or flicked off by some demented driver beside me (plus, there’s no stinking state troopers to pull me over!!). In fact, I never realized how cranky driving really made me until this morning.

And, I almost forgot how many freaks/cool people take the train. The worst of the bunch are the freaks and weirdoes, who scream, shout, and holla at…oh lets just say, the empty seat beside them and pretty much anyone who will listen to their blabber. And of course, threes the occasional stinky pit person who just happens to be reaching above you long enough to make you want to puke right on their shoes. Then, of course, there’s the loud mouth person on the train talking on their cells spreading their business to everyone within earshot.

But, CTA riders are as diverse as the city itself. Needless to say: there’s also the cool peeps too, with pink hair and body piercing, clamored in Anti-Bush pins with rolled up artwork under their arms. It’s funny watching them all interact, or, in most cases, try so hard not to interact with each other - all while packed like sardines inside the train car.

In the morning, about 1/3 of the peeps on the CTA Blue line are asleep, with the other 2/3 eagerly reading a book, magazine, etc, or listening to music - with a small percentage just staring out to space BORED. OHHH, I really wish I could be one of those readers, diving into a dream world inside a book to and from work just like the good old days. But, somehow along the way, I have developed a serious case of motion sickness. All it takes is just 5 minutes of reading on the train to make me want to blow chunks into tomorrow night.

Therefore, since I cannot read, I just listen to my nifty mp3 player and just people watch...while I relax and not worry about traffic or cops pulling me over. As long as I just steer clear of stinky pit man, loud mouth cell phone woman, and the crazies, I think I will be fine: taking the CTA to & from work is really starting to grow on me.

Ahhh, the wonderment of public transportation.

No comments: