Wednesday, October 06, 2004

party time...it's my birthday !!

"Today I'm 26 years old. For the first time in my life, I'm actually closer to being 30 than I am to 20. SHIT!!" That was the first thought that crossed my mind as I woke up this morning.

But, don't get me wrong, as the day progressed, I eventually got over it…somehow lying myself into thinking that my babyface and constant mirage of shocked reactions I get when I tell my age to people, will somehow buy me a few more years before I actually start to look like the vieja I am slowly becoming.

Anywho...'almost turning 30' really made me think about how much I've changed over the past few years. Here's a brief synopsis of me at 21 vs. me at 26.

At 21...I didn't know what I wanted to do 'when I grew up'
At 26...I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up, but at least I love my job

At 21...I was saving for a car
At 26..I just finished buying a house

At 21...I was listening to Lauren Hill 'The Miseducation of Lauren Hill'
At 26...I am listening to Jill Scott 'Beautifully Human Words & Sounds Vol.2' and this morning I had the strongest urge to listen to Nas ‘Illmatic”…so I did.

At 21...I was stuck in a tumultulous relationship crying almost every day
At 26...I'm so deeply and happily in love with the most wonderful man in the world that I'm smiling almost every minute of every day (and no, I'm not just saying that)

At 21...I hated drinking
At 26...I say 'pass me the tequila' - again and again

At 21...I had hell of girlfriends and tons of acquaintances
At 26...I realize 99% of those girlfriends were just acquaintances

There’s so much more I can’t even begin…It's amazing what 5 years can do a person. I have changed over the past few years more than the words on this blog can ever say.

I just wonder what the next 5 years will hold. hmmmm...

No comments: