Tuesday, April 19, 2005

tattoo a piece of peace on my hip


namaste

I have been thinking long and hard about getting a tattoo on my hip for years. I have always wanted one, but between being scared of needles and not feeling deeply enough about something to have it permanently affixed to my body, I have been extremely hesitant.

WELL, I think I have found IT! Here's the rough idea. Directly derived from my yoga practice, I want to get the phrase "Namaste" with a drawing of two hands connected in front of a heart tatted on my right hip.

For those who are clueless to my meaning: Nama" means bow, "as" means I, and "te" means you. Therefore, Namaste literally means "bow me to you" or "I bow to you." To perform Namaste, we place the hands together at the heart charka, close the eyes, and bow the head. It can also be done by placing the hands together in front of the third eye, bowing the head, and then bringing the hands down to the heart. This is an especially deep form of respect.

The gesture Namaste represents the belief that there is a Divine spark within each of us that is located in the heart chakra. Namaste...it describes my state of mind to others perfectly.

What do you think ?!

1 comment:

Mickey Glitter said...

Yes! I love the idea for your tat, and what it means, too. That's really cool. And the needles aren't so bad; the first few minutes are a bit unnerving (even for me, and I've got a few of them), but then them endorphins kick in. =)