Wednesday, November 23, 2005

recipe swap time

Hey all. I have got googled a hell of a lot the last two days by people looking for a good flan recipe. While my aunt would kill me for broadcasting the family recipe on here, I really don't give a care. Its the season of sharing, and that's what I intend to do. Here is the THE BEST flan de leche recipe you will ever try. Trust me, try it! It's sooo easy to make and people will be knocking on your door for more guaranteed!!

Figueroa Flan (flan de leche)

You will need:
1/2 a cup of granulated sugar
4 large eggs
1 tbsp vanilla extract (not imitation extract either!!!)
1 can of evaporated milk
1 can of sweetened condensed milk
8"-9" inch pie pan

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

In a pot, melt the sugar until it becomes liquefied. Once melted, pour the sugar evenly into the bottom of the cake pan. Be very careful it will be very HOT!! Then, in a bowl take your eggs and beat the hell out of them until there are lots and lots of bubbles (I'm talking big bubbles). You can use a blender to do this, but I think it tastes better when its mixed by hand. Add the tablespon of vanilla extract to the eggs and beat them again really well. After that, add the carnation sweetened and evaporated milk to the bowl. Mix very well for the last time. Once finished place the mixture in the 8" round cake pan. It is ready to be cooked.

Now, you will be indirectly cooking the flan in a double boiler type fashion. Place the 8"-9" round cake pan into a larger pan with a few inches of water in it (I use a roasting pan). NOTE: They are separate - the flan is in the 8" round cake and there should be just enough water in the larger pan to cook the flan indirectly - just a few inches will do. Bake the flan in the oven for about 45 minutes at 375 degrees.

It will be ready when the masa lightly yields to the touch without feeling overly sticky. When done, let cool for about an hour, then refrigerate with a cover over it. Please note to cook your flan about 12-24 hours in advance so it has time to set perfectly...When ready to serve, invert the pan onto a plate and viola!! Flan de Figueroa

There it is ladies and gentleman...ENJOY!! (but shh don't tell my aunt -she'd kill me!!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am SO going to have to try this. Both my mom and I love to try new recipes. I'll have to let you know how it turns out. :) Thanks!