Sunday, April 25, 2004

amor en concreto...

I wish I could see more independent films. In fact, I like watching IFC on cable, but nothings like seeing them on the big screen. Because of this, I try to go to as many independent film fests as possible. This past Friday, I went with a few girlfriends to see Amor en Concreto, an independent movie at the latino film festival. It totally rocked. It was about a group of people who live in Caracas (in Venezuela), all going through tumultuous times, and how they turned their lives around. They even filmed the movie on a real street in Caracas named Avenida Libertador (Liberating Avenue), which I thought was a nice touch that added something to the overall effect of the movie. I loved the way the director (who was quite a fine specimen I may add) connected all the characters lives, even in small indirect ways like swearing at each other in traffic jams. In the backdrop, there were political undertones of the turmoil in Venezuela and at the end, there was serious role reversals of the characters. Also, the story line jumped from one persons story to the next so you were always trying to guess what was going to happen next. I just loved it.

No comments: