Tuesday, May 31, 2005

world no tobacco day


no smokey smokey today...

May 31 marks yet another obscure holiday...“world no tobacco day”. Well, maybe its not THAT obscure, as its a serious health issue across the board. Thousands of people from both third world countries and larger nations alike die from tobacco use (or shall I say abuse) daily. And that number will soon outnumber HIV! WOW…

Have I ever said that I hate the smell of cigarettes before? Well, I do. Now, it really doesn't stop me from smoking, because I am a smoker - but the actual stench is sickening. I actually go out of my way to rid myself of the smell. Equipped with Febreze, Purell hand sanitizer, and kick ass lotion, I ritualistically wipe the smell clean.

Yet again, I am digressing...Staying with the whole NO tobacco mindset, I read this article which both disgusted and angered me. The article was regarding a report stating that tobacco companies targeted female smokers via attempting to market an image that cigarettes could give women the ability to puff their way into a better life. Furthermore, after massive research into women’s smoking habits, tobacco companies proclaimed that smoking helped women overcome neuroticism. The report stated, and I quote, "We can safely conclude that the strength of cigarettes that are purchased by women is related to their degree of neuroticism,". WTF? What kind of twisted sexist crap is that ? Why are the reasons women smoke any different than men who do the same ? The reason I may smoke hard-core Newports as opposed to the girly Virginia Slims makes me somehow disturbed? Hmmppt.

The icing on the cake was the tobacco companies play on womens’ low body image and dieting habits. They proposed to snag the market by offering cigarettes in "unique flavors that decreases a smoker's appetite, including brandy, chocolate, chocolate mint, cinnamon, spearmint and honey." Even though this never went into production, their efforts to sway the women market are questioned when you take into account the steep rise in women’s smoking habits over the last decade. While men’s are slowly decreasing, women habits are rising…

Needless to say, the whole thing got me peeved and only provided further evidence that tobacco companies are part of one of the most scandalous industries in the whole world. It's just horrible that my hard working cash is being given to Satan’s spawn due to my habit.

Realistically speaking, aren't the tobacco companies THE legalized and glorified drug pushers in this country ? Aside from pharmaceutical companies that is (but that's another post all together)...

peace & love this "no tobacco day" to all.

No comments: