Friday, August 05, 2005

dave..say it ain't so!!!




I have been waiting almost a year for the Dave Chappelle show to return to Comedy Central, only to have it being pushed back again and again. Now it appears that one of my favorite shows of all time is gone forever (gasp). Over: Done: Just stick a fork in it. If you haven't heard yet: word comes from Charlie Murphy, Eddie Murphy's brother and long time comedy favorite on the Dave Chappelle Show, that it is definitely over.

Not only was Dave hilarious & always testing the boundaries of controversy vs. acceptance, the brotha was one of the most famous and successful hip hops proponents on tv. And, I'm not just talking about representing played-out wannabe artists like 50 cent or some shit. No, Dave was into the intelligent, thought provoking, and booty shaking music that really shows the hip hop roots I fell in love with so many years ago. Artists like Wyclef Jean, Mos Def, Kanye West, Talib Kweli, Common, The Roots, Erykah Badu.

I guess all great things must come to an end. I just hope that he can find happiness someplace else on tv, whether it be standup or another show. Good luck in whatever you pursue DAVE!!!!

SIGH: I still can't believe it:
no more Tyrone Biggums "I smoke rocks!!!"
no more rick james "I'm Rick James Bitch!!"
no more bush disses "MARS, Bitches!!"
even more funny: no more r kelly disses like the "piss on you remix"
and no more of my favorite skit of all time: "knee high park" (the sesame street skit) - "I beat my dick like it owes me $$$"

If you haven't seen that last skit (kneehigh park)...please click here for a clip and get ready to LAUGH...once there, just click "watch"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Man, I heard this and am still in denial. There are too many favorites to list. Samuel L. Jackson Beer, Playa Hater's Ball, When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong, "I Know Black People", The World Series of Dice, Wayne Brady and "Black Actors"... man, this is just too, too sad.

Rumor has it they are going to release the already-taped episodes on DVD. I hope HBO or Showtime picks him up and does a show.