Monday, August 29, 2005

first times make the world go round

My mom used to say there's a first time for everything. So many in fact, that we spend almost our entire lives experiencing a portion of life for the first time. I never really thought about it much until this past year, at 26 years of age, finding myself doing and experiencing things for the first time in my life (most of them are hard knock lessons, but nonetheless important). Rooting from this, here are a few of my most memorable firsts:

My first crush: While in preschool, I had the hugest crush a lil white boy by the name of Tommy. I still remember, he had green eyes, a beautiful smile, and he used to give me his cookies in return for holding my hand. We used to go everywhere together.

My first concert: My first concert was with my best friend in 6th grade. We went to go see New Kids on the Block. I know, I know..they suck ass, but what can I say? I know I wasn't the only one in love with Jordan Knight's gay ass!!!! Needless to say, my taste in music since then has improved immensely.

My first slow dance: I was about 11 years old when my brother graduated junior high. He had the hugest party ever, filled with family members and friends. I remember this night like it was yesterday because I had such a kick ass time and we all danced the night away. Quite early into the night, a boy by the name of Jose asked me to dance. It was "if you don't know me by now" by Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes. I felt like I was in a movie!!!

My first kiss: My first real kiss was with above said boy in a game of truth or dare. It was quite grand, end of story.

My first day in a public school: I was in 2nd grade and was scared shitless of all the kids, which seemed to tower over me (I have always been petite). While walking to lunch, a HUGE FAT boy pushed me into the cement and stole my strawberry shortcake lunch box. I was traumatized.

My first car: My first car is still the car I drive today. It's a dark blue 1996 toyota corolla with a spoiler. Unfortunately, I just had my first (and hopefully last) accident with it last week, and its in the shop as I type, but I digress.

My first brush with racisim: Me & my brother went to get our haircuts at the local Great Clips (it might have been Hair Cuttery, who knows?). I must have been 5 or 6 years old and for some reason beyond my understanding, the lady wouldn't serve us. We waited for over an hour while everyone else came and went about their happy little lives. I didn't know at the time, but it was because we were brown and the two ladies behind the counter were some ignorant white hicks who wanted nothing to do with touching some nappy ass hair on a lil brown girls head. My brother, god bless his little heart at 9 years old, told them off before we left. When he explained it to me what had happened, my jaw must have dropped. That day forever changed my worldview, made me question the color of my skin, and left a permanent scar on my brain.

My first gig: I worked at Kiddieland, a local amusement park in Chicago which catered to the little toddler and small children population. For half of the summer I made cotton candy in a steaming hot little 12X12 shack and the other half of the summer swept the entire park out with a broom and a standing dustpan. After a full shift of making cotton candy, I used to come out looking like the pink abominable snowgirl. The cotton candy would get everywhere: in my hair, my clothes, and other orifices that boggled the mind as to how they got there. It would take me a full 15 minutes of rinsing in the shower to stop seeing the pink. And to think: I actually used to love cotton candy when I was little, but after that summer, I can barely stand the sight of it.

My first sexual experience: To preserve the integrity (and sex life) of a certain individual, he shall remain nameless. I was in high school, and he was in college. All I can truthfully remember from this horrid experience is MTV playing in the background and feeling like sex was kinda like that time my aunts dog tried humping my leg. It was, OH SO, boring and over in less than one music video's length. OUCH!!! In retrospect, I now know what a bad decision that really was and how BADLY he sucked in bed.

My first apartment: My first apartment is actually my first house, where I now own and live. I moved into it in the later part of last year. It took me a long while to move out of my parents' house: with school, work, and saving for the past few years. God knows I wanted to move out a lot earlier in life, but my own stubborn ness would not let me pay someone else mortgage. And truthfully, my parents weren't so hard to tolerate so living with them wasn't as hard for me as it was for some. So, here I am today, a homeowner, with tenants and everything. I feel so grown up!!

Ok, that's enough of my firsts. What memorable ones do you have ?

No comments: