Thursday, May 06, 2004

the end of the mix tape ?

I recently came across this posting on Jackin4Beats , a Hip Hop/Urban News site and can't help but despise the RIAA for bullying on innocent people. This guy below had a LEGITATE BUSINESS selling LEGITIMATE hip hop mix tapes (not bootleg copies of them); yet he is being penalized and treated like a felon. Its just sad and I truly know and feel deep in my heart that this is not right. In essence, because he sold hip hop mix tapes, this man has been stripped of all his possessions and possibly his freedom...for what? So the fat cat record company execs can feel a sense of accomplishment against falling profits? (yet they still accomplish next to nothing) . All I can say is that no one should go to jail for selling or making mix tapes...no one !! It's just another injustice to add to the millions of others gathering round the country. My heart truly weeps for this man.

Read below:
My name is Alan Berry; I have owned and operated Berry’s Music in Indianapolis, Indiana for thirteen years. We have been a rap store since day one. When other retailers were hiding their copies of NWA “Straight out of Compton” we had it proudly displayed and playing in the store non-stop. Remember that neighborhood store up the street or around the corner you used to get all the newest jams from? The store, were the guy behind the counter knew what was tight and what was weak. That’s Berry’s Music.

We breathe rap day in and day out. Today, a RIAA agent and local police authorities raided both of my stores and warehouse. They confiscated $10,000 worth of inventory. No counterfeits, just DJ mixes. Like DJ Green Lantern’s latest. Not a booted copy but the real mix cd. So, I ask rap artists why do you endorse mix cds but not defend the retailers against the RIAA for selling what you endorse? How many times on a mix have you dropped a line telling the listeners to check out DJ Whoo, DJ Clue, Kayslay, or whatever mix cd your hosting? Berry’s Music customers already knew 50cent was going to be tight. Everyone had been hearing him on mixes for a while. 50 was a marketing genius on how he pre-marketed his album before it dropped. Did mixes hurt him or help him? We don’t sell bootleg copies of a regular album. The local DJ comes in with a new CD filled with songs that your label gave him to put on his newest mix, plus has you saying, “This is whoever and your listing to blah-blah mix”. But if I sell it I can be arrested and have product confiscated. Please, I mean no disrespect to anyone. I’m just making you aware of the fact that in Indianapolis, Chicago, and who knows where else; the street mix is going to die. "

LATER POST: "Since the letter above no artist stepped up to help me. We have since lost both of our stores. 14 years of blood sweat and hip-hop gone. Have to sell everything for legal defense. Even my home is on the market. I can’t get a job with 13 felonies hanging on my resume. My court date is less than a month away. So please anyone that knows someone that can help me, pass this info to them. I BEG for myself and my family. I don’t think anyone should go to jail for selling mix cds. To my brothers in the industry, please help get the word out. My time is short. Thanks
Alan Berry alan.berry@insightbb.com "

My question is: why are mix tapes being picked on? I realize that they are sampling other peoples music to some extent, but in my opinion, the creation they make is both unique and separate from its parts. In essence, it's a new work of art. Thus, shouldn't this new mix type work/creation then be protected under the federal copyright law? That’s the big question. In fact, there was recently an online protest concerning a particular mix tape tape by DJ Danger Mouse called "the Grey Album" which compilated both Jay-Z's "The Black Album" and The Beatles "The White Album" (which by the way was rather brilliant if I may add). Check this site for details on it all.

For those who don't know, mix tapes have been an integral part of the hip hop culture for the longest time. It has always served as an efficient way for mc’s and dj’s to get their names known to the underground community and eventually, the world. I don't know about you, but some days just the thought of all the injustices in this country and the world makes me want to become a hermit. Its one of 'dem days...

No comments: